Managing and caring for feral and community cats – What we do
Our hospital has been proactively working closely with local residents to perform spay/neuter surgeries, provide treatment to injured cats, and support them finding foster homes for those cats. Those procedures are performed at reasonable charges. Feral cats outside of the ward or from other prefectures can also receive our support. Please feel free to contact us.
Spay/neuter surgeries for feral cats
- The same surgery procedure is performed for the one for domestic cats.
- Surgery for spay/neuter needs to be scheduled beforehand. Please contact us. If a trap fails, surgery can be canceled on the day so please make sure to contact us if that happens. There will no charge for the cancellation on the day.
- Basically, we do not perform blood test prior to surgery for feral cats. If the cat has some conditions at the time of the transport, please understand that there might be a risk of anesthesia. Blood test can be performed if it is wished, but the cat will be under sedation before performing a procedure, which could cause some risk. In that case, there will be additional charges for sedation and blood testing.
- There will be no charge for ear-tipping (V-shaped cut). The cat that underwent spay/neuter without ear-tipping has a risk to be trapped again, so this procedure is strongly recommended to be performed.
The appropriate weight for spay/neuter (age of the months)
Spay/neuter surgery can be performed for cats that weigh equal to or more than 1.5 kg (approximately 4 and a half months old), but equal to or more than 2.0 kg is an ideal weight if the cat can be trapped again or the cat is friendly/tamed.
What to expect and need to be done for surgery
Surgery for spay/neuter needs to be scheduled beforehand. Please contact us.
- Visit on the day of surgery
Please bring cat in the trap or cage covering with laundry net between 9:30 – 10:30 am.
* For flea/mite control and prevention, we will receive feral cats from back door of the hospital (whether ear-tipped or not, any injuries, gender, procedures to be performed are checked at the arrival).
Surgery is performed between 12:00 – 4:00 pm. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
- After surgery
It is not informed when there are no issues.
Please pick up your pet between 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Please pay at discharge.
For any other questions, feel free to contact us.
Charges for surgery
* The charges are for cash after discount: (including consumption tax, the charge could be changed without advanced notice)
- The above includes the charges for sedative agent, analgesic agent, general anesthesia, monitoring and management on whole body during surgery, infusion solution, surgery, agent for preventing suppuration.
- For female in the mating period, the charges for pet burials, antibiotic agent that lasts for 2 weeks, hemostatic agent and such might be additionally added.
Pet burials: 2,200 Yen
Antibiotic agent that lasts for 2 weeks: 2,200 Yen –
Hemostatic agent: 1,100 Yen
- For female in the lactating (nursing) period, surgery will be performed when the lactating period ends.
The below is a list of optional procedures that can be performed together with spay/neuter surgery.
- Ear-tipping (V-shaped cut)
Ear-tipping (V-shaped cut): free
- Viral test
Feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), Feline Leukemia Virus: FeLV): 3,300 Yen
Three-in-one vaccine (feline herpesvirus 1 (FHV1), feline calicivirus (FCV), feline panleukopenia virus (FPV)): 3,300 Yen or 3,850 Yen
- Flea/mite control and prevention
For cats: 1,210 Yen –
- Dental procedure
Dental calculus removal: 5,500 Yen –
Tooth extraction: 880 Yen – 2,750 Yen/tooth
Suturing: 1,100 Yen/stitch
*Tooth extraction fee varies depending on the targeted tooth and its condition.
－Convenia (antibiotic agent) : ex) 2,200 Yen –
* The charge varies depending on the weight.
〔Injection〕1,100 Yen – ･･･Will be performed on the day.
〔Oral drugs〕220 Yen – ･･･This is to be given after Day 2, it will be prescribed for 2 days.
* The charge varies depending on the weight and days of prescription.
* It can be prescribed for 5 days approximately if it is wished.
－Blood vessels reinforcement, hemostatic agent: 1,100 Yen
- Injury treatment
Injury treatment: 550 Yen –